Frequently Asked Questions


No, the city has a non-refundable activation fee of $75 for utilities.

You will need to fill out a utility application form at City Hall. If you are renting, instead of owning, we also will need a copy of a signed lease agreement.

Electric – Electric energy charge

Customer Charge – Electric customer charge (the same each month)

EL Demand– Demand charge (typically for larger businesses)

Energy Adjustment – Fuel cost adjustment (either a charge or credit-covers various cost of producing and delivering wholesale electricity)

Franchise Fee – Franchise Fee (based on electric usage)

Water Protection – Water Protection Tax (collected for the State of Kansas)

Sewer – Sewer charge

Space light – Space light rental

Storm Water – Storm Water Utility Charge (based on type of lot: residential or business)

Water – Water charge

Tax – Sales tax

Resident FAQs

You can burn leaves if you have a burn permit from the Fire Chief. You are not allowed to burn trash of any kind within city limits.

Only on designated days approved by Ordinance. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd of July  between the hours of 8:00 AM and 11:00 PM, on the 4th of July between 8:00 AM and 11:59 PM, and on the 5th of July between 8:00 AM and 10:00 PM.

Not necessarily, it depends on the actual location.

The property owner has responsibility for upkeep of sewer laterals out to and including the connection to the City sewer main. In many cases this will require a street cut, so beside a sewer permit, an excavation permit will be necessary.

The burn site is open from sun-up to sun-down. Construction materials are not accepted. Those will need to be taken to the Pottawatomie County Landfill.

Non-emergent calls are routed through the City Office during the day but go directly to dispatch in the evenings. Having a dispatch center at the police department was a duplication of services.

The City electric department is responsible for maintaining the electric lines that lead from a transformer to the meter, so if there are sagging lines or branches are getting into the lines, report the problem to the City Office.


No, but we contract with T. Russell Reitz.

We do not have a facility for cats or do we tag them.

For nuisance animals, please call the City of Wamego during business hours. After hours, call the Wamego Police Department.


You can contact the clerk and she will get a message to the City Attorney.  You can call 785-456-7714 or email her at 

The first night you come to court is only an arraignment where you plead guilty, not guilty or no contest.  You do not present your case until you plead not guilty and then it is set appx. 6 weeks out to hold a trial where subpoenas are issued for witnesses and the officers to attend.   Officers are not there the first time you come to court.

The officers write a report with what crimes they believe occurred.  It is the City Attorney who has the final say on what charges will be filed if any.


These can now be done online at 

You can also still go to a District Court and go before a judge to get this done.  We do not do them in Municipal Court.


You can sign up for rec sports at or at City Hall. Usually, we do not have teams sign up together, but each person will sign up individually and will be put into teams by the Recreation Department. The only exception is for programs that specifically ask for people to sign up as teams.

Licenses & Permits

Do I need a liquor license if I am having a party with alcohol?


Patrons that decide not to swim but want to watch their child(ren) are still required to pay the admission fee.